The overwhelming majority of craigslist users are trustworthy and well-intentioned.
With billions of human interactions facilitated through craigslist, the incidence of violent crime has been extremely low.
Nevertheless, it's very important to take the same common sense precautions online as you would offline.
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home
- Be especially careful when buying/selling high value items
- Tell a friend or family member where you're going
- Take your cell phone along if you have one
- Consider having a friend accompany you
- Trust your instincts
Taking these simple precautions helps make craigslist safer for everyone.
For more information about personal safety online, check out these resources: